Google
 

Ponting sheds light on Martyn mystery

In the Age an extract from Ricky Ponting’s new book, Captain’s Diary 2007, reveals how Ponting was told of Damien Martyn’s shock retirement while playing golf with Stuart Clark.

"After nine holes I decided to check my phone, which is where it all got a bit bizarre. I saw I had a missed call from Michael Brown, Cricket Australia's general manager, cricket operations, and immediately turned to 'Sarf' and said, 'I reckon Marto's retired.' I have no idea why I reacted to the message in that way, but sure enough that's what I was told when I returned Michael's call.”

Ponting says Martyn’s strange disappearing act left him in an awkward position.

"It's not for me to say whether Marto's decision to retire was right or wrong. I was disappointed because we had lost an excellent player, someone who'd bailed us out of difficult situations many times in the past," said Ponting. "I was frustrated because I was left answering questions about something I knew nothing about, when one media appearance by him would have cleared the air.”

No comments:

Google